RE: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 11:29:17 -0700 (PDT)

> >> - When a special command was given before (analogy with `C-x RET c' was
> >> already mentioned here).  That special command by default could "toggle
> >> default".  It could accept prefix arg, say C-u for "force sync" and C-u
> >> C-u for "force async".  That way sync/async preference will be decoupled
> >> from the actual command, and could be added to any other command in
> the
> >> future.
> >
> > I will play with these proposals.
>
> As you have seen the other mail, I'm using now C-u to toggle the default
> value of find-file-asynchronously. I'm open for any other key binding,
> but C-u has the advantage that it works for both "C-u C-x C-f ..." and
> "C-u M-x find-file ..." and friends.

(Don't you mean that `C-u' simply toggles `find-file-asynchronously' - its
current value, not its default value?)

As mentioned, I don't think it's a good idea to spend/waste the use of a prefix
arg on this. (Just one opinion.) To me, it doesn't matter so much that such
commands are longstanding and we haven't yet seen competing requests for
prefix-arg behavior.

But if that's the way this will be done (`C-u' toggles `
find-file-asynchronously') then please consider this instead: Don't co-opt the
use of an arbitrary prefix arg; instead, do what you propose only for `C-u C-u'
(double plain prefix arg). That will make it much easier to accommodate other
uses of (other) prefix args in the future.