Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 15:31:22 +0200

> Phil Sainty <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Phil,
>
>> Ultimately I can envisage that async-supporting commands which are
>> initially synchronous-by-default may in the future end up being
>> asynchronous-by-default once this functionality is better established,
>> and so tying prefix arguments to such functionality now may end up
>> seeming short-sighted in the future?
>
> You have a point. But I still believe that synchronous visiting of files
> will still be used, especially for small local files. Se we could have a
> user option which toggles synchronous-by-default or asynchronous-by-default,
> and we should have an indication do-it-the-other-way. Then people could
> decide their default, and they could overwrite this default for single files.
>
> The variable I could add easily. But which general indication do we want
> to use, if it isn't prefix arg?

Given that this is all highly experimental, I wouldn't mind a 'be 100%
asynchronous' variable in order to ensure maximal coverage (plus I
donʼt want the cognitive load of having to think "do I want this
operation to be asynchronous"). Once we have more experience with that
we can decide which if any operations should default to asynchronous.

Robert