Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 22:59:10 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: João Távora <address@hidden>,
>   address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 15:50:41 -0400
>
> > "Gross" means that it solves the problem not where it is caused, and
>
> FWIW, I disagree on this judgment: it's not the only acceptable place to
> solve this problem, but I think it's pretty close to its origin.

In what sense is it close?

> Fixing it in fly*.el would be "gross" as would become evident if you
> tried to write a patch for it.  If you want the patch to be specific to
> flymake it'll have to go either to `elisp-mode` or to
> elisp-flymake-*, all of which live in elisp-mode.el.

elisp-flymake-* at least have the advantage of having "flymake" in
their names, so some relation is evident.

> I agree that at some level they are theoretically the same, but in
> practice they exhibit important differences.

Differences that are important for an Emacs major mode?  What
differences are those?

And why not make emacs-lisp-mode recognize these differences and
support them accordingly?