Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 10:15:44 +0300

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 08:05:09 +0100
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>, Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  I don't like the idea, given the motivation.  Am I allowed to have gut
>  feelings?  Is the question "why you're fighting this one" only
>  applicable to me?
>
> Perhaps your gut feeling is that we're trying to stuff a feature request
> behind a reasonably silly bug report.  If it
> is, you're right! But it's a really nice feature, cheap and useful, and lots
> to offer to users and package authors.

I don't agree that it's a nice feature.  I don't even understand why
we give up so easily on elisp-mode support for such "data files",
something that should be quite natural, and instead want some
"inferior" mode based on file names and manual turning on of the mode.
It simply feels wrong, as file names have nothing to do with the
actual issue of doing TRT with Lisp data.

But this all was already said many times, we just keep going in
circles with no new arguments anywhere in sight.