Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 13:59:22 +0300

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 11:28:01 +0100
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>, Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>,
>       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
>  > not lisp data. Can you concede that, or is that still controversial?
>  No, I disagree.  Lisp data is as much Lisp as Lisp programs.  There's
>  no distinction in Lisp between data and code.
>
> A lisp program file is a Lisp data file, we concur.
> A lisp data is _not necessarily_ a lisp program file.

There is no "Lisp program", only "Lisp data".  A program is Lisp data
that makes sense as a program.

> Here is another way to look at it: If this last proposition were true,
> we would have no problem, nothing to fix. Yet, we do. You have
> even provided a patch. Hence, your proposition conflicts with
> reality, i.e. is false.

The argument is not about the need for a fix, it's about where the fix
should be.  Ideally, the byte-compiler should have got its act
together and not attempted to produce code out of those files.
Failing that, we need to help the byte compiler DTRT.

>  This was also already said several times.
>
> By you, exclusively, right?  Or by someone else I missed?

Also by Andreas and by Richard.