Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 15:50:41 -0400

> "Gross" means that it solves the problem not where it is caused, and

FWIW, I disagree on this judgment: it's not the only acceptable place to
solve this problem, but I think it's pretty close to its origin.

Fixing it in fly*.el would be "gross" as would become evident if you
tried to write a patch for it.  If you want the patch to be specific to
flymake it'll have to go either to `elisp-mode` or to
elisp-flymake-*, all of which live in elisp-mode.el.

Of course, changing `elisp-mode` or elisp-flymake-* of course won't help
fixing the problem for flycheck (nor will it help with other things we
may want to fix such as the M-C-x binding which makes no sense in
.dir-locals.el, or the presence of "Byte-compile this file" in the
menu, ...).

I don't care if we make it a separate major mode or not, but I think
it's important to recognize that the origin of the problem is the
difference between buffers that contain Elisp code and buffers that
contain Elisp data.  I agree that at some level they are theoretically
the same, but in practice they exhibit important differences.

        Stefan