Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 14:41:03 +0100

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 2:34 PM Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
On 21.10.2019 16:15, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> it was that we shouldn't make the decision before we have
> a good understanding of the problem beyond the specific issue with
> .dir-locals.el

I think we do, they are just spread evenly across this discussion.

1. Flycheck will have to duplicate the same filename check. And IDK if
the same problem applies to other similar files mentioned in this
discussion. I can't find the beginning of this discussion. The current
thread starts with Lars's "Makes sense to me" in my email client.

2. elisp-completion-at-point will need to add the same check and do
something different to give better results when such file is being
edited. E.g. currently where the user types a variable name is suggests
functions only (in .dir-locals.el).

3. (add-hook 'after-load-functions
#'elisp--font-lock-flush-elisp-buffers) seems strictly unnecessary in
such files.

4. project-vc-external-roots-function should probably be nil, but it's
not really hurting anyone.

Add `which-function-mode` to the list, please, also produces
bogus results.

João