Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 20:29:55 +0100

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 5:32 PM Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> > But cookie generation would only be for very tight cases, I think, if
> > any at all.  Because for files whole filenames and/or standard locations
> > we know, such as dir-locals.el, bookmarks, ido-last, recentf,
> > tramp-something, etc. we can just leverage the existing auto-mode-alist
> > and magic-mode-alist.
> Why are we talking about cluttering up auto-mode-alist with odd filenames?
> There files are generated, so it's easy to add to them a cookie like:

To me the obvious answer would be that if we ever develop a
specialized recentf-mode, places-mode, etc... derived from
emacs-lisp-data-mode, we get to apply these modes to existing files
without having to painfully find-and-replace said cookies.

I've just never considered auto-mode-alist to be a clean place
anyway, there's lots of stuff there I've never heard of.

But the cookies aren't horrible, either.  We mainly just need
the intermediate lisp-as-data mode for now.

João