Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 15:43:09 +0300

On 20.10.2019 8:45, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Why not?  It would be very unusual and inconvenient for a major mode
to require that it be manually turned on to be useful.

Like I explained, it wouldn't have to be turned on manually. In any case, the subset of such files that people routinely edit manually isn't big.

That's why I said this issue needs to be investigated and the
conclusions posted and discussed, before we can design a coherent
feature to support such files.  Doing that in a hurry, based on a
single incident and only on some vague ideas what other aspects of
these files may need handling, doesn't sound wise to me, especially as
the rest of the issues, whatever they are, cannot be urgent, judging
by the lack of complaints.

It is indeed not urgent. I think it's an argument to postpone the proposed change (new major mode and stuff) until after Emacs 27. But not against doing it in general.