Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-h

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-hook in batch mode?
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 21:41:50 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 11:27:00 -0400
>
> Maybe a better approach would be to allow Emacs to run the redisplay
> in batch mode (i.e. build glyph matrices and just do nothing for the
> actual redraw).

I don't think we can build the glyph matrices without some information
about the terminal.  The current display code assumes some terminal,
so we need to fake it to make this work.  That's the "pseudo-terminal"
idea I described up-thread.

> I only meant it for people who want to start writing such tests, in the
> absence of actual support for that.

Display tests can be run interactively, but the problem is that the
results need to be examined by eyeballing them.  So even for
interactive tests we currently can only test very little, like those
hooks we discussed.