Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-h

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-hook in batch mode?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 16:45:20 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Xen can open a window on your display, but it can also run without
>> displaying anything, I think?  Emacs (inside Xen) just sees a standard X
>> display of a given size.
>
> So maybe this will do for one, maybe 2, of the 4 possible display
> back-ends.

You can have any OS inside Xen, but of course, we can't redistribute the
non-free ones.  It's still possible to create a framework that'd make it
easy to build a Xen image with Apple or Microsoft OS-es inside.

>> We may have to add some new primitives to give more information about
>> the glyph matrix back to Lisp land, but I think we already have most of
>> what we need.
>
> Information about the glyph matrix is not enough to test the end
> results.  Emacs doesn't directly display the glyph matrices.
>
> In any case, if information about the glyph matrices is what we want,
> then Xen sounds like a very significant overkill.

What Xen gives us is repeatability, and without that, automatic testing
becomes dicey.  There are so many variables (screen size, fonts
installed, etc) that doing testing on these things automatically without
a controlled environment is somewhat futile.

With a commonly distributed image, we'll all be doing the testing with
identical fonts (etc.), which will allow a new class of automatic tests
to be performed.