Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-h

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-hook in batch mode?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 14:33:32 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks.  However, unless these emulators are components of a
> garden-variety system out there, using them for Emacs testing would
> mean that only a few of us could ever run these tests.  E.g., if I
> cannot run redisplay tests on any of my systems, my motivation for
> writing such tests will be exactly zero.  It is much better/easier to
> run the tests interactively.

I think it's conceivable to create a "standard" VM image that has a
known look -- i.e., a specific scaling factor, known set of fonts
installed, specific desktop size -- that we could then distribute and
run.  Both at the test rig and as developers.

We could then write ert tests that tests for basically anything
display-related ("does this line wrap after this character?  Does
scrolling down twice in this buffer display this image in full?") in a
pretty confident manner.

Perhaps using Xen as the hypervisor?

I don't know whether this has been considered before or not.