Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-h

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-hook in batch mode?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 02:16:22 +1300

On 26/10/19 1:42 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> My suggested addition to this specific NEWS item is purely about
>> flagging a potential backwards-incompatibility, and this is the only
>> hook out of the original two which is affected in this way (because
>> `window-size-change-functions' was already run only by redisplay).
>
> You are looking at this from the narrow POV of backwards
> incompatibility, for someone who had a test that used
> run-window-configuration-change-hook.  I suggest instead to write text
> that will be useful for people who might have tests for other similar
> hooks, even though they are new in Emacs 27.

I agree with you generally, but I don't think that those other details
are needed in the NEWS item?  Your reasoning here was similar to my own
reasoning for suggesting that additions be made to the various relevant
nodes in the ert and elisp manuals:

We could add (elisp) Window Hooks to that list, in order to more
directly cover the window change functions.

My own feeling is still that the more general information belongs in
those manuals, and only the backwards-incompatibility notice is needed
in the NEWS.

I don't *object* to the other info being added to the NEWS, though --
this is a very minor point which doesn't warrant lots of discussion;
so if you feel it belongs in NEWS then let's do that.

-Phil