Re: Sv: Sv: Christmas wish: Literate Elisp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Sv: Sv: Christmas wish: Literate Elisp
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 11:17:35 -0500

> I really understand the concern, but I must ask how would one change the
> elisp itself without re-implementing much or some of of elisp parser if it
> would
> be done externally?

I recommend you take a look at the existing function used on
load-source-file-function (i.e. load-with-code-conversion): it loads the
source file into a buffer and then calls `eval-buffer`.

So all it would take is for you to erase the text (aka non-code) part of
the source code before passing it to `eval-buffer` (but of course, only
do it when that source is using your new format).

Or instead of `eval-buffer` you might "manually" skip the text parts,
then use `read` + `eval` on the code parts.  This would probably take
a bit more effort in order to correctly handle (defvar foo).

        Stefan