Re: Christmas wish: Literate Elisp

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Christmas wish: Literate Elisp
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 17:41:29 +1100

I certainly don't want to discourage you from experimenting and trying out ideas - this is what makes Emacs great. What I would encourage is, in this case, using org-mode to develop something non-trivial (possibly your literate elsip idea) as it will give you the elisp experience you need and more importantly, a taste of a form of literate programming, which will both highlight the limitations of the current implementation (ie.e. org-mode) and possibly, the literate programming approach itself. The key point is that it needs to be non-trivial. Most of the limitations I found with literate programming really only become evident in larger projects. For smaller things, it works great and it is how I maintain my own init.el file. It is only when you do something more complex that weaknesses become evident.

I would also highly recommend re-visiting Stepan's posts after you have gained some more elisp experience. Stephan is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable contributors on this list. His advice and guidance are valuable and should be considered carefully. While it may not be obvious why he is making a recommendation, you can be fairly confident it is based on experience and deep knowledge of Emacs. Spending the time to analyze his suggestions and looking into them in detail is likely to save you a lot of time going down dead ends or having to re-design/re-factor things as you discover them the hard way.

I hope you don't become too discouraged and do work at implementing your idea. At the very least, you may be able to find ways to improve or enhance org-mode, which is always a valuable contribution.