RE: On elisp running native

From: arthur miller
Subject: RE: On elisp running native
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 08:17:24 +0000

I haven't yet installed WSL, nor do I have any plans. I don't see why should I install entire Linux kernel if I can run applications natively. I don't understand why people are so excited about wsl when they could just run Linux kernel on bare metal? I do it 99% of time myself and I don't miss Windows at slightest.

Mingw and/or Cygwin do just fine for the apps that does not have native win ports already, but most worth-have apps are already written in portable way. Running entire wm and another kernel just to run an app is an overkill on resources in my eyes.

I would like to see a world where we go towards using less resources instead of just piling platform over platform eating all CPU and ram achievements just because it's easy way out. I think it's madness to run a chat app that requires 1.5 gig or dependency  (slack on blink), or as someone on YT recommends to run a virtual machine on Windows with GNU/Linux distro for the sole purpose of running Emacs. WSL is towards that trend. Of course if Emacs run on WSL, and of course it will,  is not a problem, but if Emacs does not have native port, that will be a problem.

So I write this just to express that some people value native win32 port and hope native win32 port will not go away or get behind just because it is *easier* to run Emacs on wsl pile of ...

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.