RE: On elisp running native

From: arthur miller
Subject: RE: On elisp running native
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 22:03:43 +0000

Yes, I know.

With apps that don't have native ports I ment *nix applications that are not written with portability in mind. For example Firefox, Apache or similar are already written to run native, while say binutils or some other typical posix apps, usually need extra portability layer to compile on win32. mingw/cygwin/msys usually provide enough of that portability layer for applications to be "relatively easily" ported over to native win32. In that context I don't really see what gap wsl fills.

I have no idea whom Microsoft targets with wsl, but it is not their first time they add posix layer to Windows. Before wsl there was sfu and before that it was Interix, and before that was probably something else which I don't remember. Neither Interix nor SFU catched big time, I am not sure why would wsl?

Sure, this time they parted with Ubuntu which is big name on GNU/Linux marketing side so maybe this time it leaves bigger ripples behind, No idea, time will tell. Maybe Microsoft just realized that most enterprise applications move to cloud and certain mobile OS:s got enough of traction to become everyday alternative for masses. That maybe leaves Windows as less important as desktop OS in future and they feel a need to target more niche clients such as sys admins and backend developers? I don't know, I don't think this dev list is right place for such speculations  so sorry for the regression.

I just wanted to express my concern for not leaving mative win32 port as a secondary citizen in favor of wsl.

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.