RE: Request: add cl-font-lock to Emacs or Elpa

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Request: add cl-font-lock to Emacs or Elpa
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 13:57:06 -0700 (PDT)

> I think it should be an opt-in feature, not a replacement for the
> current syntax highlighting in lisp-mode because many users prefer the
> old syntax highlighting. Also, it is not very sophisticated (it is just
> regular expressions) and sometimes doesn't highlight right based on the
> context.

Even without looking at the proposed feature/change,
those statements sound right, to me.

> The other issue with it is that it can't really be unloaded.
>
> So if these issues are too great for it to be added then we will have to
> fix them first.

I'd also suggest changing the file name from
`cl-font-lock.el' to `font-lock-cl.el'.  This
isn't really part of Common Lisp or its
emulation, and if we get other such code for
other languages then that would naturally use
the same convention: `font-lock-<LANG>.el'.

(No, I don't feel strongly about this.  It's
just something that occurred to me.  Perhaps
there are good counter-arguments.)