Re: New feature in project.el: Remembering the previously used projects

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: New feature in project.el: Remembering the previously used projects
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 01:37:01 +0300

On 05.06.2020 00:55, Juri Linkov wrote:

They both have 'e' in their names. If we imagine that both 's' and 'h' are
taken (the latter standing for 'help', maybe), then 'e' is kind of
a natural choice.

Maybe it's not too bad when read-multiple-choice will underline
the letter ‘e’ in ‘shell’ in the prompt with:

   (read-multiple-choice "Switch project"
                         '((?E "Eshell")
                           (?e "shell")
                           (?h "help")))

so the prompt will be: _E_shell, sh_e_ll, _h_elp

Sure. But we not using read-multiple-choice, or at least not yet.

And maybe 'search' is more important than 'shell', as far as the choice for
's' goes.

Is it possible to use key sequences, e.g. ‘s h’ for ‘shell’, ‘s e’ for ‘search’?

Provided someone implements it, sure.

But if we'd put two commands on the same letter this way, I'd rather we use two similar ones, again shell and eshell. And keep 'search' separate. I'm pretty sure the latter is going to be used more often, so it deserves a separate letter.