Re: questions about correct reveal-mode usage to hide passwords

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: questions about correct reveal-mode usage to hide passwords
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 17:08:17 +0000

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 12:35:11 -0400 Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>
wrote:

CP> On 12/06/2020 12.17, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Let me know if you have strong objections or any suggestions, otherwise
>> in a day or two I'll document and push this patch.

CP> If you go this route, I would recommend extracting functionality shared
between
CP> this and prettify-symbols-mode into a separate library; otherwise, won't you
CP> have conflicts between the password-hiding patterns and the prettification
CP> patterns? Additionally, I'd be surprised if turning of prettification also
CP> revealed passwords.

You're describing what I thought reveal-mode would do. It's a good
point, and factoring the functionality out to a library makes a lot of
sense.

Let's see if Stefan and others agree with the approach--remember, he
recommended using jit-lock. Once we have a solid foundation for this
functionality, I'm happy to start on the library.

Ted