Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 13:07:56 +0300

> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 09:29:45 +0000
> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
> Cc: dgutov@yandex.ru, philip@warpmail.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > We could design a way of doing that which would then support adding
> > buffers to a project quite easily.  But Dmitry doesn't think we should
> > go that way.
>
> Maybe we should reconsider the API then?  It seems to me like you don't
> want this generic interface, and rather would like a more general notion
> of what a project is.  You want to have a more granular approach,
> something akin to bookmark.el.  Am I reading you correctly here?

Which API did you have in mind?

In any case, my proposal was not about the API itself, it was more
about the implementation of the API.  For example, we could have an
implementation of the generic project-files API that consulted some
list instead of asking the VCS or the filesystem to provide the files.

> > More to the point, my question is how would adding a buffer to the
> > project be recorded and where, under your proposal?
>
> We already are persisting a project list under "user-emacs-directory" in
> a readable lisp format.  I guess this could be extended to include the
> added buffers?  Not sure how unwieldy this can get, though.

That's one possibility, yes.