Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:49:00 +0300

On 19.06.2020 17:37, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>>      Switch to another buffer related to the current project.
>>>    A buffer is related to a project if its `default-directory'
>>>    is inside the directory hierarchy of the project's root.
>>
>> Sounds good. Except some projects can be inside one another, too.

> Does that invalidate what the text above says?

If the current project contains a few other projects inside of its subdirectories, project-switch-to-buffer probably should offer any of "their" buffers for switching.

It current does, but that's arguably a bug. :-(

Maybe we should step back and talk about the intended uses of this
command?  When would you want to switch to a buffer whose name you
don't know in advance?

When don't I? Do you use icomplete, or something similar?

As soon as you start relying on completion hints, you don't need to remember the names in advance. And it's also a good overview of the current open buffers in the current project.

Also, different projects can have files with conflicting names.

And yes, uniquify solves that somewhat by renaming one of the buffers, but the other keeps the base name, so it's not immediately apparent to which project it belongs.