Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el

From: Philip K.
Subject: Re: master 1e3b0f2: Improve doc strings of project.el
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 16:41:03 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
>> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:18:17 +0300
>>
>> On 19.06.2020 17:11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> > So
>> > if I start Emacs from somewhere inside the directory hierarchy rooted
>> > at the project's root, then*scratch*,*Messages*, and temporary
>> > buffers I create with "C-x b" will be considered to be part of the
>> > project?  Does this really make sense?
>>
>> We can add scratch and Messages to the skip-conditions by default.
>
> What about the others, though?  I wouldn't even expect *XREF* to be
> eligible, as that is a kind-of "service" buffer to which I don't
> really switch, I let the relevant commands put me there when needed.
>
> Likewise for Eshell and Occur -- why are those candidates?  Basically,
> any buffer whose name is *SOMETHING* should be by default excluded, I
> think those that should be included are the exceptions, not the rule.
>
> More generally, I question the wisdom of judging by the
> default-directory in the first place.  Can't we come up with a better,
> more specific criterion?

My rule of thumb would be was a buffer generated "by" a file/action on
file in the project. The goal would be that if I open a project, do some
work and then call project-kill-buffers, and repeat this over 10, 100 or
however many (different) projects, that the list of live buffers doesn't
increase dramatically, or even proportionally to how many projects I
have used in general.

--
        Philip K.