Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 14:45:02 +0100

Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com> writes:

> On 2020-11-08 13:09, Arthur Miller wrote:
>> Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com> writes:
>>
>> > That's why I never end up actually ever using your extensions, Drew. I
>> > think they're great and I enjoy reading them, but it always ends up
>> > intimidating me with a sense of overkill.
>> But if an extension is overkill, how is then creaing entire system
>> instead not? :-) Sorry, I just can't resist to ask.
>
> Fair. The diredc "system" is only a few lines of code, with nothing at
> all complicated (compare the data structures and compare the code to the
> emacs native bookmards).
Ok, I can buy that simplicity might be a reason; but looking at history,
simplicity usually vanish when things get developed over time, and
usually yet another package will emerge that will prefer simplicity, and
Mary goes round ...

> Now, if one can argue that
> it's *objectively* better
Can you define what `objectively better' means? I am quite sure we can
argue to lenghts about what better would be, but I am not sure we can
ever define it objectively.

By objectively I believe you mean not subjectively, and I am affraid
that word `better' refers to very subjective matters, which probably
contradicts to word `objective'. That means putting those together in
same expression is probably a misstake, but I would rather leave that to
philosophy schoolars which I am unfrotunately not one of.

Jokes, aside, I think it is useful to bookmark some special files (like
init file) for example. Furthermore it is also nice to not have to write
another Helm handler for Helm users who would use yoru file manager
(even though it is fairly easy to write a handler for Helm source); i.e
re-use of existing tools.