RE: on hyperlinks (bookmarks)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: on hyperlinks (bookmarks)
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2020 11:47:30 -0800 (PST)

> > main characteristics of Emacs bookmarks are these, IMO:
> >
> >  1. They're persistent.
> >     (They don't have to be, but they can be.)
>
> Yes, they are. Only they are designed for single users, not for
> collaborative sharing.

I can't speak to the general topic of collaborative
sharing, but a bookmark file can of course be shared,
just as any other file can be.  And you can access a
bookmark file as a remote file.  And I imagine that a
bookmark file could be accessible from, say, a
repository URL, etc.

Again, I'm no expert on such things - I don't use
them, myself.  But there's nothing special about a
bookmark file, compared to other plain-text files.

I guess I'm saying that I don't think Emacs bookmarks
are particularly "designed for (only) single users".
Unless one thinks that files, in general, are so
designed.

> Bookmark+ has export option. Files can be shared really, but that is
> not fast collaborative sharing. There are many things inside for me to
> learn and adopt good ideas I missed myself.

I imagine that multiple users could use the same
bookmark file at the same time.  In that scenario
the same considerations would apply as would apply
to shared use of any other file.

> Imagine when we work in local area network, several users translating
> files and need references. New reference is added as bookmark and all
> other users have reference without updating or sharing files as
> reference is simply accessed through common database. It implies that
> some files are shared and accessible between users that bookmarks can
> access them. While Emacs is one interface to such bookmarks, there can
> be various other interfaces.

Something to consider, perhaps, is that a bookmark
file is separate from the files and other resources
that the bookmarks target.  The latter can certainly
be shared even when the bookmarks need not be.

> `eww' lacks function to bookmark specific page on specific line. I can
> of course add eww bookmark with `w' but that does not reference
> specific line or specific search on the page.

The EWW bookmarks created with Bookmark+ record a
URL, which can include an anchor - e.g., a location
within an HTML page.  Is there really a notion of
"lines" and line numbers in a displayed web page?
If so, if you can record it then it can be added to
what's recorded in an EWW bookmark.

> If there are no #names it becomes impossible for many browsers to
> obtain finely grained reference or back link. For `eww' it would be
> relatively easy to do that feature and include it in {C-x r m RET} to
> be bookmarked by Emacs system, not eww system.

If you're talking about adding support for #name,
that's already present (with Bookmark+).  If you
mean add, in some way, support for addressing a
particular line of a web page, I don't know how
that would be easy to do (but I'm no expert on
such things).