Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 10:25:48 -0600

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> Just let us serialize the state of windows to the disk and re-open it
> on demand. Thus I could create my own layout inclusive with buffers
> and save it as "workspace" to be used with diredc. Thus two-pane
> workspace could be "bookmarked" with some specific locations on hard
> drive. Three-pane workspace could be bookmarked for some other
> use-case etc.

FYI, my new package, Burly, works this way: it bookmarks window/frame
configurations and restores them, including their buffers, by using the
bookmarks library to restore each buffer before restoring the
frame/window configuration.  All that's necessary is for a buffer's
major mode to define a bookmark-make-record-function and a bookmark
handler function (as many major modes already do).

It already works with, e.g. file-backed text buffers, Dired buffers,
magit-status buffers, Help and Info buffers, etc.

https://github.com/alphapapa/burly.el