Re: NonGNU ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 19:30:04 -0500

> Cloning large repositories can be quite slow, that's it.  Assuming that no
> one needs to do this except the build machine, that should be fine, but if
> we want to push patches (as is sometimes done in ELPA) then it could become
> an issue?

The plan is to try and refrain as much as possible from installing
patches directly into the nongnu.git mirrors.

IOW the complete copies held in nongnu.git are just meant as a kind of
"internal detail" to decouple the step of fetching updates from the step
of building packages.

> Even if it's not cloned often I worry about the time it takes to switch
> branches if very large external repositories get imported.

Every package gets into own branch, and gets its own worktree, so
switching branches should be very unusual there.
Also if having them all in a single repository ever turns out to be
a problem, we're definitely not stuck with this design.

        Stefan