Re: NonGNU ELPA

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 00:04:07 -0500

  > How easy is it to add a package?  Would pushing the attached patch do
  > the job?  Is it useful to start adding packages at this stage?

In general we are not ready to fill it with packages.

First of all, this is a first stab at setting up NonGNU ELPA.  Does it
do the right thing?  Does it need changes?  The message about it was
very terse, and I am not sure what Stefan has implemented.

Aside from the technical structure, we have to develop procedures.
Before we put a package into NonGNU ELPA, we have to look it over and
make sure it follows the rules.  (I posted them here months ago.)
Also make sure there is nothing problematical in it.

Then we have to determine what relationship to have with its
development.  There are three possibilities.

1. Make an arrangement with its developers, then entrust it to them by
automatically copying their new releases.

2. Automatically copy in new releases, but check them to make sure
the code does not become problematical.

3. Manually to check and install new versions occasionally,
carrying forward our small changes as if necessary.

We will need to work out the details of this by doing it.
What we need to do now is add packages carefully, one by one,
paying attention to the arrangements we make for each one.

--
Dr Richard Stallman