Re: NonGNU ELPA

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 12:05:19 -0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Before we put a package into NonGNU ELPA, we have to look it over and
> make sure it follows the rules.  (I posted them here months ago.)
> Also make sure there is nothing problematical in it.
>
> Then we have to determine what relationship to have with its
> development.  There are three possibilities.
>
> 1. Make an arrangement with its developers, then entrust it to them by
> automatically copying their new releases.
>
> 2. Automatically copy in new releases, but check them to make sure
> the code does not become problematical.
>
> 3. Manually to check and install new versions occasionally,
> carrying forward our small changes as if necessary.
>
> We will need to work out the details of this by doing it.
> What we need to do now is add packages carefully, one by one,
> paying attention to the arrangements we make for each one.

This implies that we should first contact the package maintainer telling
them that we are interested in adding it to GNU ELPA.  I think that
could be useful, as it's also an opportunity for us to inform the
package maintainer about our plans, to build a relationship and to avoid
surprising anyone.

I have three questions:

Would it be useful to prepare a template for such a communication?

Could we prepare a canonical URL for the GNU ELPA package
requirements/rules outlined in a previous email by Richard?  I assume it
would be placed under https://elpa.nongnu.org/requirements.htm or
something similar, once Amin can get that hostname working.

Should we add a special file to nongnu.git for recording the kind of
arrangement we decide on?  I imagine that our ideal case would be number
one above.  Perhaps we would only need to note anything down when we
have a different arrangement from the first case.