Re: NonGNU ELPA

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 10:14:36 +0100

> > Yes, we should do that.  It should state the full rules, which
> > I've posted here, adding some details from my previous message.
> > I'll do make that and send it to you.
>
> FWIW, I've put that in the README.org of nongnu.git
> (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/nongnu.git/tree/README.org) in
> the "Guidance for accepting packages"

Excellent.  Why not export README.org as a HTML file and distribute it
as such on nongnu.elpa.org?  Org-mode already has excellent HTML
exporting capabilities that we could use, and it is trivial to adapt
it to use the existing stylesheet.  We could perhaps do the same with
the link to the README on elpa.gnu.org (where we currently just link
the raw text file on Savannah's gitweb).

I would ideally like to see a menu added to both NonGNU ELPA and GNU
ELPA web pages.  For example, on elpa.gnu.org you can only find
"Contribute" from the very first entry page, which is fine, but to my
mind not ideal.  It should better be shown on every page.  A menu
should make it easier to find information on what NonGNU/GNU ELPA is,
and how to install and submit packages.

I think we could have these menu entries: "Packages", "How to install"
and "Contributing", and perhaps even a brief FAQ.  I could volunteer
to write the text for these pages, but I often find CSS very
frustrating to work with so it takes me a lot of mental willpower to
do even simple things like a menu.  Perhaps someone on this list is
more CSS-capable than me and would be willing to help here.  (I do
have a half-baked attempt lying around that I have lacked the stamina
to complete.)