Re: Proposal for an emacs-humanities mailing list

From: Eli Zaretskii
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 07:41:27 +0200

On November 30, 2020 6:40:00 AM GMT+02:00, Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2020, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >However, I don't understand what is expected from the active Emacs
> >developers wrt this list.  It sounds like they will need to subscribe
> >to this new list, for it to be useful?
>
> I don't think we need to assume that.  Emacs's extensibility and
> customizability mean that there are plenty of beneficial suggestions
> that users can make to each other without getting active core
> developers involved.  And when a topic does warrant the attention of a
> maintainer, then someone from the new list can come find one (perhaps
> by posting on Emacs Devel if appropriate).

Do you really think this will work?  I don't, FWIW.  How can a group of people
not involved with development answer non-trivial questions, suggest reporting
useful bugs and feature requests etc.?  Even help-gnu-emacs would not be the
same without several developers dwelling there.  Posting to emacs-devel is a
slippery path to making this new list a branch of the existing ones, something
that this initiative wants explicitly to avoid.  I'm probably missing something
here.