Re: Proposal for an emacs-humanities mailing list

From: Paul W. Rankin
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:03:50 +1000

On 2020-11-30 15:41, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Do you really think this will work?  I don't, FWIW.  How can a group
of people not involved with development answer non-trivial questions,
suggest reporting useful bugs and feature requests etc.?  Even
help-gnu-emacs would not be the same without several developers
dwelling there.  Posting to emacs-devel is a slippery path to making
this new list a branch of the existing ones, something that this
initiative wants explicitly to avoid.  I'm probably missing something
here.

There's no cause to worry. The three things you list -- non-trivial questions, bugs, and feature requests -- are already covered by the other lists, where diligent Emacs developers remain on guard. There exists a discussion scope outside of that scope.