Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 23:02:51 +0100

Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> writes:

>> - I wouldn't find it outlandish for Magit to do something similar to
>>   rg.el: provide a function (say magit-enable-default-bindings) that
>>   users can call in their init file to easily setup some bindings under
>>   a prefix (that would default to C-c g).
>
> So to be clear, we would ask hundreds/thousands/whatever of users to
> add a change to their init file and possibly change a binding they use
> daily, in order to either make room for, or override a binding they
> mostly never asked for?

I've used Magit daily for years, and I call magit-status through C-x g
dozens of times an hour.  It is very much ingrained in my muscle memory,
and it would take me a lot of frustrating misinputs to retrain myself to
use another binding.

In the grand scheme of things though, and for the sake of more
consistent conventions across the package ecosystem, I wouldn't fault
Emacs maintainers for reclaiming a binding that, IMO, is their
prerogative to make use of, so long as whatever C-x g ends up being
bound to makes some sort of sense and/or is useful.