Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 18:28:49 +0100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

>> I've used Magit daily for years, and I call magit-status through C-x g
>> dozens of times an hour.  It is very much ingrained in my muscle memory,
>> and it would take me a lot of frustrating misinputs to retrain myself to
>> use another binding.
>
> You could upgrade the muscle memory and just switch to C-c g or
> something else.

(Note that, in the part of the message you left out, I said I wouldn't
mind Emacs maintainers binding C-x g to something new, as I consider it
to be their prerogative.)

> Try it out. Excercise few times. Maybe you discover something new.

FWIW, I've spent this past week with

    (my/define-prefix-command my/magit-map
      "Keymap for Magit commands."
      '(("c" magit-file-dispatch)
        ("f" magit-find-file)
        ("g" magit-status)
        ("x" magit-dispatch)))

    (global-set-key (kbd "C-c g") 'my/magit-map)

… and been none the worse for wear.  What "frustrating misinputs" I had
were mostly due to forgetting to "git pull" my dotfiles on another
computer.