Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 16:24:05 +0100

Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> writes:

>> That is, I propose that we remove the `M-o' binding on the trunk for
>> one month, and see how many (if any) complaints we get.
>>

> Perhaps replacing its binding with a message "The M-o key has been
> experimentally unbound, please M-x report-emacs-bug if you need it"
> would be even better?

Or perhaps refer to emacs-devel?  I'm not sure whether any choice here
would skew things one way or the other (i.e., what annoyance level do we
wish to get feedback on)?

Anyway, I had a look at that keymap for the first time ever, and:

Global Bindings Starting With M-o:
key             binding
---             -------

M-o ESC         Prefix Command
M-o b           facemenu-set-bold
M-o d           facemenu-set-default
M-o i           facemenu-set-italic
M-o l           facemenu-set-bold-italic
M-o o           facemenu-set-face
M-o u           facemenu-set-underline

M-o M-S         center-paragraph
M-o M-o         font-lock-fontify-block
M-o M-s         center-line

There's more commands there!  I had no idea -- I though all of `M-o' was
just a facemenu thing...