Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 19:19:52 +0200

> From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>
> Cc: bugs@gnu.support, gregory@heytings.org, larsi@gnus.org,
>       emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 11:47:03 -0500
>
>    > Sorry, I atleast have a hard time taking these suggestion to remap
>    > long standing keybindings randomly seriously, likewise suggestions
>    > that users should just resort to M-x or binding them themselves.
>
>    Can you explain why you are so worried about Emacs changing the
>    default key bindings?  Given that it takes one line in your .emacs to
>    restore any binding you care for, why argue so much about the
>    defaults?
>
> Those who do wish to change the current behaviour of M-o (for example)
> could also just rebind it in their .emacs file -- as you say, it is
> only one line.  So why is that not also a solution here?

Because what is being discussed is a change that would enable us
_as_a_project_ to make some progress in the future.  We aren't
discussing someone's private wish to change keybindings because they
fancy a change for their own personal needs.  Wheres you are worried
about how _you_ will be able to invoke some commands when those
keybindings are changed.

> Why is it always users who have to explain themselves and never the
> developers who change functionality that they don't even seem to use?

How do you know I'm not using it?  As a matter of fact, several of the
keys that people here suggested to change are in my daily routine.  I
didn't even mention that because I see no reason to bother anyone with
my private bindings: I can always have them, no matter what Emacs does
by default.  That's why I asked the question: I cannot understand the
intensity of objections based on what this or that person are using
frequently.  This is Emacs: no default keybinding can ever lock you up
or out.