Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk

From: andrés ramírez
Subject: Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 18:02:49 +0000

Hi. Guys.

    Eli> I doubt it.  Because the keybindings which are being discussed as
candidates for usurpation
    Eli> are those most newbies don't know about and many never will.

Indeed. I have never will.

I spent 99% of my emacs time on the tty. I have never used any of the
commands on the M-o set. I have just tried:
1 center-line
2 center paragraph

On my opinion those commands seem to be useful for quotation or for
writing prose (I could be wrong).
But on my personal case when I wan to quote something I use:
1 mark the region
2 C-u shell-command-on-region and feeding at the prompt with "boxes -d boxquote
-i box"

see the result below (on this particular case fill-paragraph was applied
before invoking shell-command-on-region):
,---- [  ]
| Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod
| tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enimad minim
| veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea
| commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate
| velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint
| occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt
| mollit anim id est laborum.
`----

That's the reason I have never used M-o all this long time. But YMMV.

On the contrary. What I have used when checking email from my phone
(using the phone as a mobile terminal 800x480) and for very long subjects is the
function "horizontal-recenter-derived" (which was based on
gnus-horizontal-recenter) .

I have an alias:
(defalias 'hr 'horizontal-recenter-derived)

(defun horizontal-recenter-derived ()
  "Recenter the current buffer horizontally. based on gnus-horizontal-recenter"
  (interactive)
  (if (< (current-column) (/ (window-width) 2))
      (set-window-hscroll (get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t) 0)
    (let* ((orig (point))
           (end (window-end (get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t)))
           (max 0))
      (when end
        ;; Find the longest line currently displayed in the window.
        (goto-char (window-start))
        (while (and (not (eobp))
                    (< (point) end))
          (end-of-line)
          (setq max (max max (current-column)))
          (forward-line 1))
        (goto-char orig)
        ;; Scroll horizontally to center (sort of) the point.
        (if (> max (window-width))
            (set-window-hscroll
             (get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t)
             (min (- (current-column) (/ (window-width) 3))
                  (+ 2 (- max (window-width)))))
          (set-window-hscroll (get-buffer-window (current-buffer) t) 0))
        max))))

Hope it helps. Best Regards
ps: probably we the tty-frame-guys have a lot of bindings that just apply for
the X-frames that we never use.