Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 00:18:35 +0100

Andrea Corallo via "Emacs development discussions."
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Hi Stefan,
>>>
>>> we have the `comp-async-report-warnings-errors' customize to control
>>> this.

Oh, some weeks ago I put

(setq warning-minimum-level :error)

on my .emacs, but it turns out that there is something to address the
real culprit :-)

>> Should that perhaps default to nil?  I'm not sure users typically need
>> to see these warnings -- developers do.
>
> In the past a lot of developers not seing these warnings on native-comp
> got hit by this.
>
> I think we touched on the reasons why hiding warnings on native-comp is
> dangerous here <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=44746#8>.
>
> So yeah I agree with you normal users are not interested, but developers
> should learn that this customize exists and set it to t, this is not
> 100% trivial.
>
> Anyway I guess as every default the best value is very debatable :)

The problem is that you execute a command and some time later a window
pops out showing some stuff which is uninsteresting or even
unintelligible for the user. And that happens too often, in my
experience. It's quite annoying.

At this stage having comp-async-report-warnings-errors t is probably the
correct thing, but on the release it should be nil, no doubt about it
:-)