Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 23:30:43 +0200

On 13.02.2021 23:03, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

But the actual people who compile Emacs for distribution are the
minority, aren't they? So it might make sense to just document the
advice to do full AOT when compiling for distribution, but default to
lazy compilation.

Then developers would (commonly) be running a different thing than most
users...

There is a certain subset of our users who routinely compile from master, but don't really contribute to the development.

For instance, see the Homebrew stats here for 'emacs --HEAD':

https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/emacs

(I don't really have any numbers across platforms, this is just the first thing I managed to dig up).

But it would indeed make sense to be able to inhibit it if your build
machine isn't super-spiffy.

Or, you know, if you update the code often enough and don't want to
waste time on native-recompiling the world every time.

Does AOT need really need to recompile everything every time temacs is
built, though (as somebody said)?

Hmm, maybe I spoke too strongly. I haven't tried a full AOT build myself yet, actually (Stefan showed some numbers on that), but even the current "lazy" approach feels quite slow to me.

So if you have ever been annoyed with the current recompilation speed after 'git pull' (even just of the files that do need to be recompiled), you can multiply that time by X.