Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 14:17:07 +0200

On 13.02.2021 13:57, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
When installing an ELPA package, Emacs byte-compiles the files, right?
So it should do .eln compilation at the same time, in my opinion.

For ELPA packages, this might make sense (even though, with your proposed scheme, one would have to reinstall all packages on an existing system to take advantage of native compilation, right?).

But when we're talking about built-in packages, that might increase the build time with no good reason. E.g. if I never use Org or Gnus, ideally I shouldn't have to wait for them to be native-compiled.

Native compilation differs from the normal byte-compilation in speed, I guess.