Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 15:53:36 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> For ELPA packages, this might make sense (even though, with your
> proposed scheme, one would have to reinstall all packages on an
> existing system to take advantage of native compilation, right?).

Yeah, I guess...

> But when we're talking about built-in packages, that might increase
> the build time with no good reason. E.g. if I never use Org or Gnus,
> ideally I shouldn't have to wait for them to be native-compiled.
>
> Native compilation differs from the normal byte-compilation in speed,
> I guess.

The primary way Emacs is distributed is already-compiled, and these will
presumably have .eln files pre-installed.  I think it makes some sense
in having the development version of Emacs behave more like what users
see normally, which means defaulting to compiling .eln files when saying
"make".

But it would indeed make sense to be able to inhibit it if your build
machine isn't super-spiffy.