Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 22:30:47 +0200

On 13.02.2021 16:53, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
The primary way Emacs is distributed is already-compiled, and these will
presumably have .eln files pre-installed.  I think it makes some sense
in having the development version of Emacs behave more like what users
see normally, which means defaulting to compiling .eln files when saying
"make".

But the actual people who compile Emacs for distribution are the minority, aren't they? So it might make sense to just document the advice to do full AOT when compiling for distribution, but default to lazy compilation.

But it would indeed make sense to be able to inhibit it if your build
machine isn't super-spiffy.

Or, you know, if you update the code often enough and don't want to waste time on native-recompiling the world every time.

Also, the lazy compilation approach seems to be the trickiest to get right, so I'd keep it the default even just to expose it to as many users as possible, to iron out whatever kinds could hide there.