Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 12:28:47 +0100

> Andrea Corallo via "Emacs development discussions."
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>   - ~6 months ago I was asked by Eli to open a bug [1] to handle code
>>     review and merge process.  As of today ~3 months more passed since
>>     my last try to ping this, unfortunately no progress was made.
>>
>>     Each day the code is not on master we lose some verification
>>     opportunity.
>
> I've got one question about how things are compiled that I meant to
> ask but forgot: Why is AOT not the default, and why does the
> native-comp branch do compilation on-the-fly in the background?

Given that the ELN compilation takes quite some time, I think that's one
major reason.  Another thing is that the on-the-fly compilation also
compiles all ELPA packages and even packages just residing somewhere on
my customized load-path which aren't accessible at emacs build time.
And it seems like they are compiled not until they are actually used,
e.g., auctex compilation was not triggered until I found a tex file.  So
one only pays the price of compilation for the things one actually uses.

Bye,
Tassilo