Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 17:32:47 +0200

> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 23:22:40 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On mingw64 32bit configured with "--wide":
> >
> >  - the build fails: bootstrap-emacs.exe crashes when compiling lisp).
> >    gdb does not produce anything informative in the backtrace.
> >
> >  - the "--wide" configure flag affects ABI, so should be included in the
> >    native-comp ABI hash identifier in .eln filenames.
>
> While this doesn't stop anyone else from doing it, I have just removed
> support for 32bit builds from the windows packaging process:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-01/msg00661.html

Because it was unreasonable to expect you to keep supporting it when
MSYS2 folks dropped it.  And since MinGW64 dropped support of old
Windows versions, which are the main audience for the 32-bit build,
such a MinGW64 build is no longer useful anyway.

But that doesn't mean we want to drop support for 32-bit build on
MS-Windows.  As long as mingw.org's MinGW supports Windows 9X, we
should not deliberately break such builds.