Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 11:20:55 +0200

> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 22:29:31 +0000
>
>  - The async background compile and intrusive warnings are intrusive and
>    make emacs unresponsive to user input. The async background compile
>    is difficult to control (other than disabling completely), or to see
>    which files are still in the queue to be compiled.

Did you report the problems with the warnings?  If not, please report
them to the bug tracker.

>  - The dependencies for building .eln files do not work. If the .elc
>    file for a .el file exists, the .eln will not be built (even if the
>    .eln does not exist).

Was this reported as a bug?

> On mingw64 32bit configured with "--wide":
>
>  - the build fails: bootstrap-emacs.exe crashes when compiling lisp).
>    gdb does not produce anything informative in the backtrace.
>
>  - the "--wide" configure flag affects ABI, so should be included in the
>    native-comp ABI hash identifier in .eln filenames.

Andrea, did you try a 32-bit build --with-wide-int?  Did it work for
you?

> As a pre-existing problem (present in master), the .elc files are built
> in the source tree, rather than the build tree. That prevents doing
> out-of-tree builds for different platforms/ABIs from the same source
> tree.

Yes, we don't yet fully support out-of-tree builds, and that's
unrelated to the native-comp branch.

Thanks.