Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 09:34:02 +0100

> The maintenance overhead will double if we assume that pgtk will
> impose the same burden as GTK3 -- is the a reason to make that
> assumption?

It's not very clear to me how many people tested the pgtk branch under X
so far.  Here I get occasional crashes and strange artifacts but no
simple, presentable scenario yet.  So it's too early to tell, I suppose.

> But yes, we will need to keep the GTK3 code at least in Emacs 28.  If
> pgtk turns out to be relatively problem-free and similar enough in UX
> to GTK3, we could look into removing GTK3 from Emacs 29.

If we intend to make it Wayland-only, we have to keep the impure GTK3
branch anyway.  So all depends on how well pgtk integrates into the
existing X installations and whether we want to remove duplicate code.

martin