Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging native-comp and pgtk
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 11:39:45 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 18:06:45 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > For me, the native-comp branch is not yet usable on mingw64 64bit:
>
> Should "usable on mingw64" a prerequisite to merge a branch for an
> experimental feature that will only be activated upon explicit
> user request?

We may indeed decide that good support for the MS-Windows build is not
a prerequisite, but then we'd need someone to volunteer to fix any
potential problems, including breaking the MS-Windows build, as result
of the merge.  IME, any breakage of that kind on master is left
unfixed until yours truly does it.  If I'm unable to build the
native-comp code (and Andy just said the --with-wide-int
configuration, which is what I use, doesn't build), then I will be
unable to build and test this code, and will not be able to fix any
problems reported for master, whether on MS-Windows or on other
platforms.  Then someone else will have to take over that job.

IOW, having a master branch that one of the co-maintainers cannot
build is not a good situation.  We should try avoiding it, IMO.