Re: A different way to interactively pass options to commands

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A different way to interactively pass options to commands
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 17:15:54 -0500

>> Thanks.  So it's like a ... mega-popup key menu thing.  It does seem
>> quite nice -- it makes command discovery very "in your face": You can't
>> help but know what your options are.
>> But it's a quite radical departure from other commands in Emacs.
>
> There could also be a delay so if you know the keys you could skip the
> popup display. But more important to me would be the concept itself:
> The author of a command can defined keys which adjust the behavior and
> callers can call these commands with a prefix and than are queried for
> the option key.

Indeed, these are more like Gnus's `M-i` (as well as a few other such
cases, PCL-CVS also had such prefix commands) in that they are somewhat
specific to a (set of) commands, whereas the other examples I mentioned
tend to be usable with "any" other command (tho they may end up doing
nothing in many cases).

        Stefan