Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 17:01:28 +0700

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 19:08, Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> wrote:

> One of the usability complaints I've heard is that `help-for-help'
> (`C-h C-h') could be better organized.  I also think some colors could
> really help in making it easier to navigate.

There is some discussion going in this thread concerning the order and
sectioning. I’d like to make a few usability suggestions, too.

Is there a reason that help-for-help is page-scrollable with
Space/Backspace and C-v/M-v but not PageUp/PageDown, and
line-scrollable with the mouse wheel but not Up/Down arrow keys? A
newcomer will try those and be surprised by the help buffer silently
disappearing.

Shift+Space should probably also act as “scroll a page back” on
terminals where this key is distinguishable.