Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 17:27:51 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> So it _is_ about the order.  But then I think we should discuss the
> underlying principles, and then order the commands accordingly.
>
> The rationale for the order in the manual was to show the discovery
> commands first, and the commands for focused help later.

To be honest, I didn't yet think very hard about this problem.  But
sure, we can discuss it.  Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

My preliminary thinking here is that we should probably start with
something like `describe-mode' and perhaps `describe-bindings' -- things
that are about the basic commands to find help about the task that the
user is engaged in right now.  Maybe together with `describe-key', and
`describe-command'.

Ideally, we would just copy the ordering in the manual.  It would save a
lot of work.  But the Info node `(emacs) Help' puts the Emacs FAQ and
`C-h p' very early, even before `describe-mode'.  I don't think that is
exactly what we want for the `help-for-help'.

So we probably need to think a bit more about this, and how that screen
will be used.

>> I think it would be useful also to get feedback on introducing titled
>> sections, and the overall visual appearance (including coloring the
>> keybindings).
>
> If the aggregation is meaningful, I think having sections should be a
> no-brainer.

That is good to know, thanks.